The overall scope of this WP is to evaluate the SSM products based on the results of the SSM validation and user requirements.
- Selection of SBA’s subcategories to participate in the assessment of SSM products – Based on the user requirements collected in 2.1 - expressing present and future SBA’s needs in terms of quality, accuracy, etc. of the SSM products - and the resources of the project, an initial set of subcategories to be used for the assessment of SSM’s will be chosed;
- Assessment of satellite soil moisture products – In-situ soil moisture data from RSMN and the agro-meteorological network will be compared with satellite derived soil moistures within the constraints of each of the SBA’s subcategories of the initial set. The influence of factors like the presence of RF interference, over the performance of each SSM product in each SBA subcategory will be accounted for. Soil moisture maps will be generared for quick visual inspection and presentation purposes. A way forward for each SBA subcategory will be proposed;
- Preparation for the Future Sentinel Data and Products – The main objective of this task is to gather and update all information about the Sentinel-1mission, before and after launch and comissioning, relevant to the project overall goal and technical objectives. The project consortium will start using the Sentinel-1 soil moisture products, as soon as they will be made available by ESA;
- Overall System Validation and Qualification – Based on the known practice, the RSMN, Validation Module and Processing Chain (the System) as a whole will be evaluated and its operation validated and qualified as corresponding to the purpose it has been build. Data quality, transmission times, etc. will be checked against the network design and equipment manufacturer specifications.
- SBA Subcategories selection document;
- Assessment report;
- Preparation for Sentinel document;
- System Validation and Qualification document.